Back in the ‘80s, Robert Palmer released the song, “Addicted to Love.” I’m fairly certain it was that decade, but my recollection of the 80’s is kind of dim.
You see I was addicted back then. Oh no, not addiction to any kind of substance. Instead, I was addicted to something I wasn’t getting enough of…sleep.
The 80’s were my decade of birthing children and moving our household from place to place, so I tend to remember that decade as being in a fog. My world revolved around having babies, nursing them, cleaning up after them, and packing up all of our belongings.
Three children and five moves later, that decade of daze ended and I finally started getting enough sleep again to realize what was happening in the world outside my window.
Somehow through it all, I remembered that song and I found it running through my mind the other day when one of my blogging buddies, Dor at Virginia Views, nominated me for the Addictive Blog Award. I truly feel honored that she finds my writing addictive. I know I’m definitely a fan of her blog!
It’s true that I definitely have found myself addicted again. Yes, I’m a fanatic. No, I’m not addicted to any kind of substance (unless you count sweet tea!). Instead, I’m addicted to blogging – both writing my own and reading all the fun, entertaining, inspiring, and amazing blogs out there in cyberspace.
Just for fun, I searched online for the lyrics to “Addicted To Love” and I found they aptly describe my blogging addiction! Here they are with my little side notes:
Your lights are on, but you’re not home [My blog lights up online, but right now I’m too busy to write much.]
Your mind is not your own [True, my mind is too consumed with going bridal right now.]
Your heart sweats, your body shakes [I’m missing my blogging ‘fixes,’ I tell ya!]
Another kiss is what it takes [Just a little kiss of reading my friends’ blogs would be so nice, but who has time for kissing?]
You can’t sleep, you can’t eat [Too much on my plate keeps me awake at night, and it’s not food. And then there are all those ideas for new posts rolling around in my brain.]
There’s no doubt, you’re in deep [Been seriously blogging for over 2 years now, although I started my first blog a few years ago.]
Your throat is tight, you can’t breathe [Look at all my friends’ blog posts lined up in my Reader! Finding enough time to read them all is giving me a panic attack!]
Another kiss is all you need [Sweet comments here and there lets me know my blog’s not forgotten during my hiatus!]
You like to think that you’re immune to the stuff…oh yeah [Sure, I can take a break from blogging without a problem…oh yeah (sarcasm)]
It’s closer to the truth to say you can’t get enough [Oh, how I miss blogging, it’s true, I can’t get enough!]
You know you’re gonna have to face it, You’re addicted to love [You know I’m gonna have to face it, I’m addicted to blogging!]
Might as well face it you’re addicted to love. [Yeah, I get the message.]
Well, while I’m confessing here, I’m also gonna have to face it, I’m addicted to blog awards. It’s a sweet kiss of friendship and appreciation to be nominated for a blog award, and I gratefully accept those gifts of blogger love.
Just recently, one of my readers commented that my cup is overflowing right now due to all our family weddings. Well, it seems my cup overflows in the blogging world too.
Not only did I receive the Addictive Blog Award last week, but also was nominated for three others: Thinking of You from Dianna at These Days of Mine and One Lovely Blog and Versatile Blog both from Kate at Believe Anyway.
Blog awards are great because they provide a little feedback for the writer. You realize that people do read your posts and they like what they read. That feeds anyone’s addiction.
But for me, the best part of the awards is they often come from fellow bloggers that I’ve made such an amazing connection with. These gals really float my boat with their own writing. Thank you, Dor, Dianna, and Kate! Even though we’ve never met in real life, I feel like you are the dearest of friends!
I’d prefer not to lump all of the blog award acceptances into one post, but in the interest of time, I am doing just that. Forgive me, my sweet blogging award friends.
The Addictive Blog Award rules:
- Thank the person who nominated you and include a link back to their blog. Dor, you are a true gem! Thank you so much.
- Share a little bit about why you started blogging. I’ve always been a writer and found it easy to put my feelings and thoughts into words since I was a child. But as a busy wife and mom raising children, running a household, doing volunteer work, and eventually working at a part-time job for a non-profit organization, writing wasn’t a priority. I actually started a blog seven years ago when I was recuperating from cancer surgery. But once I recovered, I stopped writing in it. After my nest became empty, I finally had free time on my hands – and peace and quiet – to start blogging once again. This time, writing helped me express the emotions of all the major life changes I was experiencing.
- Copy and post the award onto your own blog. Boom, done, finished!
- Nominate up to ten other bloggers you think are addictive enough to deserve the award. Here are some of my addictions:
- Montana Outdoors
- Writing for Daisies
- The View Out Here
- Life As I See It
- Georgette Sullins Blog
- These Days of Mine
- The Fearless Cooking Club
- In Wonder
- Dividing By Zero
- Grace For My Mess
- Link back to the sender. Dianna, you are another true gem! I keep thinking someday we’re going to meet!
- Tell seven things that I love and that I think about daily:
- My relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ.
- My family. I love my husband, my kids, and their beloveds. Not a day goes by that I don’t think about how blessed I am to have them.
- My friends. I have some of the most loyal, long-lasting friendships. Some are silver and some are gold (a reference to the old song “Make New Friends, But Keep the Old.” Some are nearby, some are far-away, but I love every one of these gals!
- Life in the country. Just the other day on a trip to suburbia, hubby and I discussed how much we love our simple and quiet rural life.
- Tea. I’m not a coffee person, but each morning when I awake, I think of having my nice hot cup of tea. Before caffeine bothered me enough to keep me up at night, I used to have a hot cup of tea in the a.m. and another one before I went to bed. Now if there’s tea in the evening, it better be herbal or decaffeinated or Mama’s not getting any sleep!
- Photography. Even though I am just a very inexperienced amateur, I love taking pictures and looking at other photographers’ shots. Every day, I keep an eye open for an interesting picture to capture. Someday I hope to afford a better camera.
- Blogging. Blogging has opened up a new world for me and I think has made me a better writer. But more importantly, it’s given me an amazing community – another circle of friends – that I longed for, but didn’t realize it. And there is not a day that goes by that I don’t think about writing in my blog. Alas, right now blogging is low man on my totem pole.
- Pass the award to seven other blogs:
- Homestead Ramblings
- Nikole Hahn’s Journal
- Inspired Vision
- Sharon McElwrath Writes
- Coming East
- Living in Graceland
- Watkins Every Flavor Beans
- Give generous thanks to the blogger that nominated you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Kate!
- Write seven things about yourself. Can I please cheat and refer to the list of seven things in the above award?
- Make a list of 15 bloggers you admire and let them know how awesome they are! These folks are the next round of honorees for the One Lovely Blog Award and The Versatile Blogger Award. Can I cheat again and nominate all of the bloggers I mentioned above??? Every one of them is worthy of this award and many, many more such awards. Please go visit their sites and let them know how amazing they are.
If you’re like me, you might as well face it, you’re addicting to blogging!
Copyright ©2012 mamasemptynest.wordpress.com