That sounds like something my mother would have said to me when I was doing something wrong or not accomplishing what she asked of me.
“If I said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times, go pick up your room,” I can imagine her saying. Matter of fact, I’m sure she did say it a thousand times. And I’m pretty certain I’ve used the same saying a thousand times on my own children too.
But today, that saying doesn’t refer to something negative. Today in my Opportunity book, that sentence gives me joy. Why? Because if I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times – I’ve ‘met’ some truly wonderful people through blogging.
While reading what other bloggers write, I’ve learned much about their characters and their lives while their stories humor, inspire and bless me. When a blogging buddy regularly reads my posts and offers interesting and uplifting comments, that blesses me too!
Recently, two blogging friends conferred more honor upon my little blogging world. Kate at kateschannel presented the Liebster Blog Award to Mama’s Empty Nest and Dianna at These Days of Mine gifted me with the All Around Wonderful Blog Award.
First, let me tell you about these two talented people before I divulge info about the awards. I first ‘met’ Kate when she commented on my blog and I was interested in getting to know who she was. That’s what I do. Leave a comment, I’ll visit your blog, see what you write about, peek in on your “about me” page.
Here’s what I’ve learned about my new friend, Kate. She has much experience in the communications field, so when she compliments my writing, I appreciate that. Kate is a die-hard Detroit sports fan and a work at home mom. I can tell she’s passionate about her family and her life in Michigan. And I like that about her!
I can’t remember exactly when my path crossed with Dianna’s, but I never miss reading this gracious lady’s blog because it brightens my day. Occasionally, her clever kitty, Sundae, may offer a guest post making me chuckle. Dianna and I share some commonalities: we’re around the same age, we are owned by beautiful but spoiled calico cats, we enjoy photography, and our families mean the world to us.
Now that I’ve introduced you to these two friends, here’s the scoop on the awards. The Liebster Blog Award is sweet because the German word means dearest, beloved or favorite. You can’t get any better than being someone’s favorite or beloved, so it warms my heart that Kate lists my blog in that category!
Like other blog awards, the Liebster rules require the honoree to pass the torch to five favorite blogs who have less than 200 followers. I’m not a fan of following the masses, so many of my favorite bloggers fit this requirement, so that wasn’t a challenge. Among my beloved blogs are writers who have already accepted this award, so I’m bestowing it upon those who haven’t received it yet to my knowledge.
I proudly pass the Liebster Blog Award to five of my favorites:
1) Homestead Ramblings HR is my go-to person. She and I have become very good friends since our early blogging days and I love both her blog and her! Her blog is always surprising as she writes about a myriad of subjects. Her faith and love for nature (and Alaska) shine through her posts.
2) Montucky Montucky’s spectacular photography mesmerizes me and I love clicking onto his blog to see his latest shot.
3) Watkins Every Flavor Beans This writer is my oldest daughter’s friend. A stay at home young mother of three handsome little fellows, she chronicles her family life while living in Scotland. Her creativity astounds me.
4) Dividing By Zero This guy can be incredibly funny or deep. He’s my personal friend from a long time ago, and I witnessed his humor daily when we were co-workers. I enjoy reading his talented writing because he always has thought-provoking things to say.
5) Laura’s Blog Another personal friend, Laura is one witty gal. She can wrap a rhyme around words in a flash and her humor is pointedly funny. She writes often about her faith and that’s one of the reasons I love her.
The rules for accepting this award are “be a follower of this blog, pass the award on to 3 other blogs, and lastly, link the award back to this blog.”
Simple, right? But narrowing down my blogroll list to only three blogs for this honor proved difficult for me. I wanted to wrap it up like an unexpected present in cheerful, colorful paper tied with an exquisite, shiny ribbon and bestow it upon every single one of my blogging buddies.
But I am a rule follower so I’ll obey because I can hear my dear mom’s voice in my head saying, “If I told you once, I’ve told you a thousand times…”
So my choices for the All Around Wonderful Blog Award are:
1) Saturday Evening Porch When you go sit on my sweet Southern friend’s front porch, you’ll find yourself chuckling out loud. She has a clever knack of taking ordinary things and turning them into amusing stories because she’s such a wonderful story-teller.
2) Big Happy Nothing Amiable Amiable, lovingly known as AA, literally cracks me up. She’s funny, witty, yet can throw some poignancy into the mix so easily. She also is an all around wonderful story-teller.
3) Believe Anyway I’ve just recently become acquainted with this writer who created the Candle Lighter Award, but her enthusiasm for life and her faith is contagious. She is the eternal optimist and I think we need more wonderful people like her to brighten up this world.
I once read a quote by psychologist and philosopher William James that said, “What every genuine philosopher (every genuine man, in fact) craves most is praise – although the philosophers generally call it ‘recognition’!”
So true. Every person does yearn for praise. To have the words and thoughts which I chronicle in this blog considered to be worthy of recognition truly provides me great joy. Today, I’m kind of like actress Sally Field as she accepted an Academy Award, “You like me, you really like me!”
Thank you, Kate and Dianna, for liking me! Thank you, fellow writers, for delighting me each day in our blogging community. You are such treasures! And finally, thank you to all those readers who click on my blogspace and light up my world.
“There are amazingly wonderful people in all walks of life; some familiar to us and others not. Stretch yourself and really get to know people. People are in many ways one of our greatest treasures.” ~ Bryant H. McGill
Copyright ©2012 mamasemptynest.wordpress.com