A blogging buddy of mine Georgette Sullins bestowed the Versatile Blogger Award on me. Thank you for thinking of me! Georgette and I became friends way back in April when she commented on my Freshly Pressed post, When Nature Shows No Mercy . I find Georgette’s blog always fascinating as she chronicles endearing stories to be saved and cherished for her family.
Since this is the first time I’ve been honored with the Versatile Blogger Award, I researched it to find there are rules to follow. So here goes:
Rule #1 – Thank the award-giver and link back to them in your post. (As the kids would say, Georgette, you rock!)
Rule #2 – Tell your readers seven (7) things about yourself. (Prepare yourself, dear readers, these are very random!)
- I launched this blog on a whim, partly because of the weird funk I found myself in after my last child graduated from college, snagged a job, and moved to the state next door, and I also I thought I’d work through the empty nest syndrome by writing about it. But this blog has morphed into more than just an empty nest activity. Writing again has given me great joy and I’ve met some delightful friends through blogging.
- Hubby and I come from families with ‘three of a kind’ (I’m one of three sisters; he’s one of three brothers). But we were dealt a ‘pair and a spare.’ After our two daughters, our third child was a boy. We were so certain we were having another girl, we didn’t even have a boy’s name chosen! Sonograms weren’t very definitive back then.
- When I was a young girl, I dreamed of being famous. (What little girl doesn’t?) At first, I thought I’d be a legendary actress, but later I decided I’d be a renowned writer. Hmmm…so far, my only claim to ‘fame’ might be my one-time freshly pressed experience.
- I’ve experimented with a few different careers – teacher, newspaper reporter/editor, technical editor, and in the last 10 years, working part-time for a non-profit. But my absolute favorite occupation (and my most important one) has been motherhood. I was blessed to be a stay at home mom for 19 years!
- My new found interest is photography – both taking pictures and looking at others’ beautiful shots. I used to just click my camera to document special occasions, vacations, or my kids’ events. Now, I grab it when I see something interesting or I just want to experiment. I’m not very good at it, but I find it fun.
- My perspective on life totally changed when I was diagnosed with early stage and very treatable cancer 6 years ago. The whirlwind of diagnosis, surgery, and treatment left me dazed, but later so profoundly grateful for life and much more aware of the precious moments in it.
- I don’t like seafood or coffee. My husband loves both.
Rule #3 – Give this award to up to fifteen (15) recently discovered bloggers.
I’m veering from the rule here because my first award goes to a blog I’ve been reading for over a year now, so she’s not recently discovered, she’s one of my “must-reads” – Homestead Rambling’s Blog. We became instant and life-long friends when she found my blog and started commenting. We’ve realized we are kindred spirits with so much in common, including our faith. She truly is a versatile blogger because her posts may be informative, humorous, encouraging, or inspiring. Right now, she’s writing about her recent journey to Alaska, a land that seems to be calling to her, and from her pictures, I can sure see why.
Crossing the Line also deserves this award. This blogging buddy has been one of my cheerleaders for some time. Her comments always make me feel valued and appreciated as a writer. I relish reading her posts on her relatively new blogging adventure. As she honestly writes about the aspects of life that invite her to ‘cross the line’ and move forward on her personal growth journey, she reminds us all about our human frailties and how we can choose to take a different path. She’s on my ‘must-read’ list too.
Rule #4 – Contact those bloggers and let them in on the exciting news. (Boom, done, finished. Emails complete.)
For now, I’m signing off. My favorite season of fall arrives with some of my favorite people – the pair and the spare all will fly back to the nest this weekend! We’ll have a full house with a family day Sunday. That’s a gift that’s even better than a blogger award!